Bearspaw Christian School is empowered to accomplish its mission through the help of dedicated volunteers. We can’t say thank you enough for your dedicated commitment to making a difference in the lives of students at BCS. Volunteering is a great way for parents and grandparents to join with us to influence this generation of students for Christ.
Our volunteers make BCS a great place to be! Volunteering provides an opportunity for parents and family members to get involved in the day-to-day activities of the school as well as in special events that enrich student life. We treasure our volunteers’ commitment to our staff and students—your contributions of time and energy make a huge difference in what goes on here at BCS. If you are a parent at BCS or have a family member who is interested in volunteering, we’d love to hear from you!
Volunteering at BCS
BCS does not have a mandatory volunteer program, however, we encourage each parent to prayerfully consider volunteering as a way of involving yourself in your child’s education and ensuring they receive the best possible experience by supporting the school and its programs. Parent volunteers provide a service the school would have difficulty functioning without. Volunteers compliment, assist and partner with Bearspaw Christian School’s staff in virtually all aspects of BCS’ operations.
It is our goal at BCS to provide volunteer opportunities that match your gifting and talents, including: gardening, photocopying, event planning, fundraising, assisting in the classroom and coaching. There are opportunities for daytime, evening and weekend involvement, and for every interest. We value this contribution greatly and strive to offer our volunteers a productive and rewarding experience which helps advance the school’s mission.
If you are a parent of a Junior or Senior Kindergarten student, please note that the program runs on a rotational volunteer basis and we strongly encourage each family to be added to the volunteer schedule at the beginning of the year.
If, for any reason, you are unable to obtain security clearance to volunteer in the classroom, there are other ways you can volunteer your time at home (e.g., craft prep).
Bearspaw Christian School’s Volunteer Coordinator will send out email notifications with specific volunteer requests throughout the year; this will be your opportunity to sign up, be involved and support our school in Joining with the Family.
Assistant – ticket sales, planning, advertising, decorating, hosting, set-up, clean-up, registration, etc.
Volunteers work in pairs to sort restaurant food and deliver lunches to classrooms on Tuesdays between 10:30 am – 12:30 pm. Each volunteer will be scheduled to work one 2-hour shift per month. Free lunch is often included.
Assistant – provide food as scheduled by Coordinator, etc.
Coach – lead sports team, train, practices, games, schedule, etc.
Assistant Coach – assist Coach in all team activities.
Assistant – volunteer in the classroom (more information will be sent by your student’s Room Parent)
(e.g. Elementary Christmas Concert, Secondary Drama, Sports Day, Spring Formal, Winter Ball)
Assistant – set-up, clean-up, registration, ticket sales, organize, promote event, etc.
Assistant – organize students, fix hair/clothing, etc.
Security Clearance Requirement
As part of our effort to ensure the safety of all staff and students at BCS, it is mandatory that all volunteers have security clearance.
All volunteers are required to complete a Police Check and an Intervention Records Check prior to volunteering in any area at the school. These forms are processed at the office and are valid for five years.
Please note, prospective volunteers must reside in Canada for a full year before registering. Police checks obtained from other organizations that meet the criteria are acceptable as long as originals are shown at the school office.
To be a volunteer at BCS please:
- Send an email to email@example.com to request an application and Volunteer Handbook. Once you have filled out and signed the application, please return it to the school office.
- Pick up an Intervention Record Check form and a Volunteer Police Check Letter at the school office.
- Complete and return the Intervention Record Check to the school office. Our staff will mail your Intervention Record check to the Alberta Government for processing.
- Complete a Police Check online at policeinformationcheck.calgarypolice.ca. Please indicate that you’d like the electronic response sent to BCS. If you live outside of the city of Calgary, or are unable to complete the electronic process please visit your local police station to complete your Police check. Show your Volunteer Police Check Letter for a discounted rate.
- Once you receive your Intervention Record/Police Check in the mail please bring it into our school office.
- Once all the forms have been received and approved you are cleared to volunteer.